Friday, November 05, 2010

THE LAVENDER JUNGLE

It's been far too long since I've posted any '50-'60s surf/garage/tiki trash 'round these parts, so dig this thirty-three -count 'em- THRTY-THREE track comp of sleazy-listening gems. You've got Latin spitfire La Lupe utterly demolishing "Fever," a theremin-driven rocker called "Shock Treatment," that ultimate bachelor's anthem "The Devil's Pad," and "The Devil's Blues," in which we learn that "Satan's not square." And lots of songs with "voodoo," "bongo," and/or "rock" in the title. Makes me glad to be alive.

I actually own a couple of these records, such as the afore-mentioned "Fever" and Ralph Marterie's pseudo-Arabic "Shish Kabob," but for the most part these are mighty rare, otherwise un-comped (so far as I know) oddities by no-one you've heard of.

The Lavender Jungle

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, where's the beefcake photos? (nyuck nyuck!)

Mr Fab said...

Yes, this cd did come with a fanciful story about how these songs were originally released by a West Hollywood gay guy's label and beefy dude pics were included. But I don't want to attract THAT kind of web traffic - we're a wholesome family operation here, aren't we?

Dan said...

Man, such a great compilation. Still quite a few tracks on it that I'm after, too!

Mr Fab said...

Ah yes, Danny, your esteemed Office Naps blog was where I first encountered "The Devil's Pad." Was quit obsessed with that sleazy swinger...

Adam Infanticide said...

wonderful stuff. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi....great post....however, is anyone having trouble getting to this link...it takes forever then explorer gives up....I can download any other post on this site...help!...thanks

Mr Fab said...

Hmmm...I clicked on "Click Here To Start Downloading" and it started downloading. Maybe try something besides Explorer, like Firefox or sumthin?

Dirk Bill said...

No more link. And this is right in my wheelhouse.

Dirk Bill said...

Phil C. and Mr. Fab, you are the plastic slipcovers over the known universe. Thanks for this!

the saucer people said...

Wow is all I can muster! I have been wondering for a while what the flip-side track of the classic 1958 single Daddy Lolo by Ganim's Asia Minors sounded like and Halvah does not disappoint - it's as bonkers groovy as the a-side!

In fact, this entire compilation is pretty damned incredible - this is exotica with an EEEEE!

Many thanks for sharing this rarity and for those who have not come across the Daddy LoLo track, here it is:

http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/CeUxtsLF/file.html

PS> I was checking out the label behind the Los Nuggetz Latin Psych & Garage compilation over at

http://paradiseofgaragecomps.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/los-nuggetz-60s-garage-and-psych-from.html

They are called RockBeat Records and they released an incredible looking box-set compilation:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Pulp-Pop-Culture-Box-Vol-1/release/5078013

I know you too like space/ufo related music and I was blown away by the titles on the first CD - many tracks I have not heard of - anyway, you know anyone who has a rip of the first CD? Absolute long shot I know, but I thought no-one would have Lavender Jungle compilation posted either!

Mr Fab said...

That box set does indeed look incredible. Will have to keep a (tentacled) eye out for it.